Making of Jumbo Fun


It's School holiday period again, Time to have fun with your kids and build lasting memories.
This is exactly what I did with my daughters.

Over the years I've created and accumulated enough 3D tools & experience to do the Job.
The following shows you how to make your handmade clay models comes to a life forever.

It was 36 years ago when I was first exposed to clay modelling in Primary school. I created this elephant which I was very proud of and loved it a lot. But over the years till now, it was not made to become real &lasting as the clay would soften or decay over time. Finally with the 3D gadgets easily available, I am able to do exactly that and impart the know how to my next generation.

My daughter inherited this skill and molded the elephant with soft clay( non harden type)  beautifully. Next I put the clay elephant into a self built 3D laser scanner which recently has become more robust.

The raw file is post-processed using meshlab and meshmixer to get the STL file for 3D printing.

This process is repeated by adjusting the original soft clay model into different position and instant scan to 3D print again. For this creation, you just need 4 different position of the elephant to be captured and duplicate & scale them to fit onto the animation disc. You can add other decoration like balls, stars,  boxes and many others. In this animation setup, I used balls. Finally using the 3DSpin zoetrope animator gadget, we brought our Jumbos fun to life for eternity.



3D printed the ID for the scanner.

Workflow below

1)Create model : using soft clay( non harden type)
2)Digitize model: use a laser scanner from 360Fossil with enclosed box for consistent capture
3)Post process: free SW like meshlab & meshmixer
4)3D print: use 3D printers from 360Fossil
5)Sequence capture: Repeat step 1 to 4 with only adjusting the clay model at step 1 instead of creating a new model
6)Animate sequence: use 3DSpin zoetrope gadget from 360Fossil

Introduction to Instant 3D animation with 3DSpin

Amazon Direct